- increased urban green cover is by 20% in metropolitan Adelaide by 2045
- tree canopy cover is increased by 20% by 2045 (for council areas with less than 30% tree canopy cover currently).
Mellissa Bradley, Program Manager, Water Sensitive SA discussed possible ways to meet these targets being considered as part of the green infrastructure and water sensitive urban design performance based policy project (the project).
With project objectives to:
- enhance urban greening on private land, streetscapes and the public realm
- reintegrate of water into the urban landscape to facilitate a range of benefits including:
- microclimate cooling
- improved human thermal comfort
- local habitat
- provision of attractive spaces for community use and wellbeing
- increased resilience to extreme weather events including floods and heatwaves
- reduced flooding and associated impacts on people, property and the environment
- improved water quality in freshwater and marine environments
- enhanced commercial and tourism opportunities
identified opportunities for improved policy include:
For more details of key takeaway messages from the event and potential next steps for Adelaide visit Vision202020 website.