Develop your own leadership plan & influencing strategy
Workshop series dates
|24 February 2021||21 April 2021||7 July 2021||23 February 2022 (optional – mentoring)|
Are you one of South Australia’s emerging urban water leaders looking to develop your skills in:
- building partnerships and
- influencing within your organisation or across boundaries
to deliver better water sensitive urban design and associated urban greening outcomes?
For Adelaide to become a National Park City, stronger partnerships between urban water and greening strategists and practitioners are needed. Do you have the knowledge and skills to support your organisation to deliver upon this vision?
André Taylor returns to deliver the course in Adelaide for the first time since 2016. This represents a rare opportunity to be trained and mentored by one of Australia’s foremost experts in methods to build leadership capacity to affect change in urban water strategy and management.
What will I gain from the course?
By the end of the workshop series you will develop your own:
- Individual leadership development plan
- Team charter: Providing a framework for defining values, behavioural norms, processes and communication for your team
- Networking activities plan and influencing strategy
What does the course cover?
Module 1: Introduction to leadership in the water sector and self-leadership | 24 February 2021
- Introduction to leadership: Key definitions and concepts
- Ethics and leadership
- Introduction to leadership in the water sector, with a focus on exploring important leadership roles
- Leadership development: Principles and methods
- An introduction to self-leadership, with a focus on clarifying one’s purpose and values
Module 2: Leading high performing teams in the water sector | 28 April 2021
- Introduction to the nature of teams, including teams in the water sector
- Playing the team leader role: Tools and guidelines
- Using transformational leadership as a team leader
- Leading virtual teams
- Exploring common team leadership challenges
Module 3: Leading across boundaries and addressing complex challenges | 7 July 2021
- Introduction to leading without authority
- Building your power bases
- 10 tips to become more influential
- Social networking
- An introduction to adaptive leadership
Mentoring: Revisit your personal, team and influencing plans | 23 February 2022
- Revisit concepts from Workshops #1, #2 and #3 and reflect on their application in your role, personal leadership plans and influencing strategies
- Participant presentations
- Explore what is next in your leadership development journey
Modules 1, 2 and 3
- $1,000 + GST – Water Sensitive SA Partners
- $1,500 + GST – Non-partners
Option – mentoring (optional)
- $375 + GST – Partners
- $450 + GST – Others
What people are saying about Andre’s course:
“I found the course stimulating, particularly hearing from practitioners from a wide range of water disciplines who were working through different angles of the same issue. Taking the time out to reflect on my leadership style, and the motivations of the people and systems I was seeking to influence has helped me navigate my way through some tight spots in my own work.”
“Andre Taylor brought the principles of leadership off the page and made them relevant to me as a water practitioner, here and now. And, I believe that this would be true no matter your location and time in the industry. Completing this course helped me to reflect on practical things I could do; and gave me the nudge to go and do them. I have built my transformational leadership by becoming a mentor. I have applied the influence tactics in various board and committee roles. And I’ve further explored cross-boundary challenges, like how we manage urban creeks and rivers in Adelaide.”
He is a leadership development specialist, sustainability and water practitioner, educator, coach and facilitator. He has worked in the water and waterway sector for most of his 27 year career. Over this time, he has worked in consultancies, local government, state government and in academia.
Current roles include:
- Leadership Specialist at the International WaterCentre: André leads the IWC’s leadership-related development programs, short courses, master classes and coaching initiatives.
- Course Coordinator and Class Facilitator at the University of NSW Business School: André leads the development of the Leadership in a Complex Environment course in the MBAx program in 2012.
- Class Facilitator, Leading Change for Sustainable Development at Monash University: In 2017 André lead the development of a new sustainability leadership unit within the Masters of Environment and Sustainability.
- Director, André Taylor Consulting: André directs his own consulting business, which he established in 2006.